Man In China Dies After Testing Positive For Hantavirus

Man In China Dies After Testing Positive For Hantavirus

On Monday a Chinese man from China’s Yunnan province tested positive for Hantavirus. He died on his way back to Shandong Province for work on a bus. 32 other people have also been tested, according to report.

The news of his death and hantavirus is now the latest trend on social media, which has now cause people panick that it was another COVID-19 ready to cause a new pandemic. However, contrary to popular belief and WhatsApp university schooling us about it, let’s get to know about hantavirus.

 Unlike coronavirus, hantavirus is not airborne. Humans who contract the hantavirus usually come into contact with rodents that carry the virus. “Rodent infestation in and around the home remains the primary risk for hantavirus exposure.

 Even healthy individuals are at risk for HPS infection if exposed to the virus,” Centre for Disease Control and Prevention said in its website.

Although HPS can't be passed on from person to person, it can be contracted if someone touches their eyes, nose or mouth after touching rodent droppings, urine, or nesting materials, states Centers for Disease Control and Prevention fact sheet.

 Among the early symptoms of the virus include fever, headache, muscle ache, abdominal pain, dizziness, chills and abdominal problems, such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea. About half of all HPS patients experience these symptoms.
Follow us on Twitter and on Facebook
Loading...

Post a comment

0 Comments